Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Oakridge, Roatan

Arrived here two days ago. So good to be back in the tropics. I am sitting here and the breeze has picked up substantially. When we are out walking we notice the difference between areas that have a breeze, and those that do not. Fortunately we are in a breezy area! The others are unbearably hot for a couple of Oregon Coasters.

Two days into the vacations and four dives already. I love the feeling of being underwater. The freedom to move in any direction, and the amazing amount of life under the surface. It is hard to just look out at the ocean and really get a sense of all the plants and critters just by looking at the surface.

Some of the tings we have seen- and felt- (I just realized that I left the "h" out of Things- but it works just fine for the culture here!) Got to hold a few brittle stars- and watch them crawl around my hand. Holding a sea cucumber for the first time. It was about 18 inches long and 6 inches wide. The bottom was covered with small suction cups and when you hold it, it just gently attached itself to you. I cradled it across my forearm. It was quite hefty, and soft. It just nestled into my arm. I really enjoyed holding it. Then I set it down and watched it adjust itself and find a new spot to hang out in.

Saw 2 seahorses curled around the coral- about 5" each. Watched a spotted eel hunting. It looks like a sea snake. Light colored, sandy with white spots, swimming through the coral, and appearing on the other side going from about one inch wide to 2 inches- having caught some unsuspecting fishy.

The breeze has continued to pick up. I would not be surprised in the rains come soon. Last night the rain came- the heavens opened up- and it was over in 30 seconds! A little different from Florence rains.

No comments:

Post a Comment